Legal Services for Real Estate, Development, Taxes and More.

Darien • New Cannan • Norwalk • Stamford • Westport


(203) 655-9696


Wilder Gleason

Wilder obtained his BA from Williams College and his JD from University of Connecticut School of Law. He is active in the Connecticut Bar Association, serving as a member of the Land Use Committee, and Fairfield County Bar Association and is a member of the American Bar Association.

Practicing law in Darien, Connecticut for more than 30 years, Wilder is focused on real estate and regulatory issues related to real estate, including applications for permits and approvals, variances, and related issues; residential and commercial real estate sales and purchases; financing; leasing; real property tax appeals; easements; and boundary line disputes.

On behalf of numerous clients, Wilder has obtained approvals from local and state regulatory agencies such as Planning and Zoning Commissions, Zoning Boards of Appeals, Environmental Protection Commissions, Inland Wetlands Commissions, Architectural Review Boards, Board of Assessment Appeals, Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, etc. He has also represented clients opposed to development.

Whole Foods Markets, United Artists Inc., BMW of Darien, Darien Sport Shop, Saint Luke’s Parish, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Darien Arts Council, Noroton Heights Fire Department, Rings End Inc., Darien YMCA, Darien YWCA, Junior League of Stamford-Norwalk Inc., Mini of Fairfield County, First Congregational Church and numerous other individuals, organizations and businesses have engaged Wilder to represent them before local commissions and boards.

Wilder lived in Darien for over 25 years and raised his children in the town. Having served on the Representative Town Meeting, Charter Review Commission, Darien Chamber of Commerce – as a member and president, he remains involved in local matters. A board member at Person-to-Person since 2008, Wilder was elected to a two-year term as president in June 2011. He is an active member of Saint Luke’s Parish in Darien and now lives in Norwalk with his wife, Jennifer Boyd.

Areas of Expertise

Whether you want to develop a property, are looking to buy or sell a home, or plan to purchase commercial real estate,
Gleason & Associates has the experience to assist you in realizing a successful outcome.

  • Planning and Zoning Commission (P&Z)

    •  P&Z approvals are typically required for any subdivision of land, changes or expansion of a use in a commercial zone, activities within the Coastal Boundary  and activities in any flood hazard zone.

    •  Local zoning regulations may prohibit significant filling and regrading or clear-cutting of trees and shrubs without approval.

    •  Historic structures may have additional restrictions and requirements.

    •  Enforcement of Flood Damage Regulations and activities that may affect sensitive coastal resources as well as stormwater flows from development may have to be addressed.

  • Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA)

    •  Owners who have hardships created by the size, shape, topography or other features or unique history of their property may seek variances of the zoning regulations from the ZBA.

    •  A variance seeks an adjustment to a zoning regulation – such as building setbacks or permitted use – because the regulations as applied to a particular property deny the owner reasonable use of the property.

    •  In Connecticut, hardship is difficult to prove and the adjustment the ZBA can grant must be the minimum necessary.

    •  The ZBA may hear appeals of decisions of the Zoning Enforcement Official and may interpret the zoning regulations if their impact or effect on a property is not readily apparent.

  • Environmental Protection Commission/Inlands Wetlands and Watercourse Commission (EPC/IWC)

    •  EPC/IWC have jurisdiction over applications proposing activities which may adversely impact inland wetlands and watercourses.

    •  Any activity within a certain regulatory setback – such as mandatory distance from wetlands, watercourses and septic systems – may require EPC/IWC approval.

    •  Even activities outside a regulatory setback may require EPC/IWC approval depending on the likelihood of damage or adverse impact to the wetlands or inland watercourse.

  • Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP)

    •  DEEP reviews and approves applications which may affect Long Island Sound or other tidal waters – including docks, ramps, floats, seawalls or similar structures plus channel dredging or similar activities.

    •  Houses or construction within high hazard flood zones may be subject to approval from the DEEP.